Wednesday, October 7, 2009

a little nostalgia this week...

I work at Alpine Bank in Basalt, CO. This town is sort of like a second home-town for me since I grew up in Carbondale, (just a few miles northwest of Basalt) but went to high school at Basalt High (go Longhorns!). This week is homecoming week for the Longhorns, and since I teach Art History on Tuesday nights I got to venture up to my old stomping grounds and hang out at the school for a few hours while we discussed Greek art. (Funny enough: their homecoming "theme" is Grease!...hahahahahaha...ok, so it made me laugh.) Anyway, while there I noticed there were no decorations, no schedule of events, nothing. I mean, nothing! You couldn't even tell this week was "special". I was shocked.

I mean, as an Alumnus, I didn't really expect to get an invitation home for homecoming, however, after thinking about just this, I felt really sad that the tradition of homecoming has pretty much been lost at my high school. I graduated in 2003, it wasn't that long ago. But when I was in high school we had huge signs in the front entranceway to show what the schedule of events was for the week; and that was posted at least a week in advance. We had an event every night; whether it was Brutte Volleyball, Powder Puff Football, Talent Show, Bonfire, etc. Literally, we had something every night. And each day was filled with theme dress-up days: Cowboy/Cowgirl, Pajama, Twin, "Theme" day (whatever that year's theme was) and Spirit days were usually our most popular. I remember having a whole slew of people come out for the parade Friday afternoon, and then joining us for the volleyball and football games that evening. I remember our Alumni getting recognized for being goold ol' BHS alums at the game. Maybe I'm just crazy but isn't homecoming about community and sense of belonging somewhere?

On the flipside of this, this week is also homecoming for Colorado State. Sami and I will be attending the game Saturday afternoon, proudly wearing green and gold. I have known about CSU's homecoming since May when I got an invitation to attend the 4th Annual Associated Students of CSU Alumni reunion.

Now, as backwards as Basalt is with no announcment of homecoming at all, CSU is all about it. (Gotta bring back those donors!) But really, I feel like my alma mater of BHS should try to involve the alums and the community. I think if they did that, we might be more apt to donate to good causes. Plus, the kids do better in school and sports, if the community is behind them.

So, this week, I ask you, where do you come home to?

1 comment:

  1. Last week was our homecoming week for Englewood High School! As small as our district is, with only 4 elementary's, 1 middle school and 1 high school, we had our students decorate football helmets and signs to cheer and show our support of our high school! Elementary students had a chance to go outside and watch the homecoming parade and cheer on the Englewood Pirates! There were many floats, candy throwing and loud cheering, "GO PIRATES!" I am amazed to see the of support for our high schoolers from an early age!

    ReplyDelete